In 1908, the Estate became a ‘colony’ for “persons requiring care and control”. This institution, run by the Reverend Harold Burden, represented what were for the times, modern steps forward in health and social care.
During World War II, the Estate became a hospital for wounded soldiers.© Blom Pictometry. One of eight fixed anti-aircraft batteries defending Bristol in WWII. The Camp is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument
Purdown became the site for the anti-aircraft battery that is visible to this day. Helping to defend Bristol from enemy attack, this was one of eight anti-aircraft batteries around the city. The camp is now protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Soon after, the Estate passed into the ownership of the newly established National Health Service to provide mental health treatment and care.
The distinctive Purdown Telecommunications Tower was constructed in 1970 as a radio repeater mast and a microwave relay station. The tower’s design was commended by the Royal Fine Art Commission.
Private developers took over the site in 1988 and converted the Dower House into private housing. Bristol City Council acquired the site in 2012. online homework helper www.homeworkhelper.net