As a sub-group of , Stoke Park Action Group (SPAG) is dedicated to the preservation and protection of . Our aim is to keep a watchful eye on this beautiful historic landscape and enhance it for people and for wildlife through events, education and practical action. New members are always welcome. Find out more .by Ruth Coleman. Wood anemone, Hermitage Wood
Owned by Bristol City Council, is one of Bristol’s best kept secrets. Come and visit to see wonderful wildlife, stunning views and a wealth of historic features. Bring a picnic, a kite, binoculars – a compass!
Great for walking
Set out on one of three circular to enjoy all the surprises the Estate has to offer:
- From the highest ground on the Estate you can enjoy far-reaching views to the Cotswold Hills, Kelston Round HiIl and the Mendip Hills
- From the south western end of the Estate look back toward the Dower House to clearly see landscape designer, ’s intentions for a flowing, picturesque, natural landscape
- Explore the woods for bluebells, wild garlic and mature specimen trees
- Find traces of historic features more than 250 years old
- Enjoy a variety of habitats and the wildlife they support
- Visit the fishing lake (also known as the Duchess Pond)
- Get a close up view of prominent Bristol landmarks – the Dower House, Purdown World War 11 Anti-aircraft battery and the BT Tower.
There are also three fun trails to explore all year round – ideal for primary age children. You can download the web materials that match the trails . Please note – access to the grounds is year round and free, but the Dower House is privately owned.
nn1 Any link broken in that chain, and you’re see homepage undermining the importance of an entire school